Annotator Community Call Notes (12/18/13)
Annotator Community Call - Dec. 18th, 2013
Attendees: Andrew Magliozzi, Nick Stenning, Kristof Csillag, Randall Leeds, Dan Whaley, Elyse Graham, Jamie Folsom, Michael Scharf, & Andrew Brookins
- Randall’s status of Master
- My main goal in Annotator 2.0 is to increase code sharing between projects using Annotator by making the core into a framework that can be more readily adapted to different use cases and encouraging the community to freely publish their own modules.
- Registry, Store, Services, Events & Plugins… oh my!
- Welcome to new folks!
- Andrew Brookins - using annotator to markup epubs in the browser
- AndrewB, you may want to check out this project: http://fchasen.github.io/epub.js/
- Elyse Graham - from Yale and using Annotation-Studio
- Making browser plugins for Annotator and other open source projects
- Kristof’s overview of Anchoring work
- Anchors are the things we are annotating, but how can we be sure we can find the right ‘anchors’ every time we load annotations on a web page? Hypothes.is identifies ‘anchors’ through ‘targets’ having ‘selectors’, including the text before and after a given anchor.
- This is vital for getting Annotator to work with changing content
- Michael Scharf
- Pain caused by merge hell -- bring on 2.0
- Open Annotation -- Rob S
- OA spec remains unchanged.
- Working with IETF to get open annotation for all epubs as standard
- Rob, have you seen this project: http://fchasen.github.io/epub.js/
- W3C Interest Group on Annotation
- Looking to form a W3 Working Group next year -- would result in a full TR, being “The Way to do annotation on the web”
- Looking for sponsoring companies
- Harvard & EdX
- Integrating Annotator into EdX (talk to Phil Dessene <firstname.lastname@example.org> & Daniel Robles <email@example.com> if you want more information on this)
- Preparing a bunch of changes to go into EdX -- video annotation, etc, based off Annotator v1.2.x
- Another plugin -- colored tags? [Ed: could you provide a link, possibly?]
- Question: how to integrate/update to Annotator 2.0?
- Interest in semantic tagging of annotations -- associating annotations to geolocations, events, etc. Rob sez: no problem in OA.
Old Action Items
@Andrew, @Jamie, & @Dan TODO: assemble/update master list of Annotator plugins, integrations and projects -- on the annotator website (github.io).
- Blocker: @Nick to get github page ready for us to edit
- Result: postponed to documentation task (@Nick will follow-up ; @Andrew will remind him)
@Randall: heatmap demo / contribution with vanilla annotator
- Result: whatever this was, it probably depended on the Annotator 2.0 work Randall has committed, so that’s sort of a thing that was worked on. @Randall to do more of this.
Everybody: Annotator 2.0 Milestone:
@Nick: people were at OKcon who were interested in annotation. [DONE]
@Nick: Adam Green: offered a pro-bono facilitation of documentation for annotator.
New Action Items
@AndrewM - Organize a call in one month
@AndrewM - Remind @Nick to assign people documentation tasks
@Nick - Start a Sphinx project for Annotator
- Next: start accepting documentation-related pull requests
- Volunteers? - @[Your-Name-Here]
- Types of documentation needed
- API documentation
- What is this project about?
- Plugins & Demo pages
- Projects using Annotator
@Nick - Send an email to annotator-dev asking for documentation volunteers (once scaffolding is in place)
@Randall - Example NPM package requiring annotator with a simple plugin
@AndrewB, @jamie, @phil - Tell Randall about pain points in using/integrating Annotator
@Andrew Brookins - Email annotator-dev with questions and suggestions about error handling